Saturday, October 4, 2008

One Smart Cookie...


Okay, I'm going to brag a little bit about Skyler.
Those of you who know Skyler know that she is very creative and love to read and write stories. In fact, she has wanted to be an author for quite some time now. Well, this past week marked the end of the first quater at school. Mind you, they started August 6th or so- early here. Anyway, I got her report card when I had parent-teacher conferences on Tuesday. Now, I am never really concerned or nervous when it comes to Skyler and schoolwork, but you always wonder what the teacher is going to say. Well, it was ALL good things about Skyler from her teacher. She received VERY good grades in every subject- they do not give letter grades at her school though. Their system is like, NP, PP, P, P+ and A. (Not proficient, partially proficient, proficient, very(?) proficient and advanced). I'm not really sure if I like this system, but whatever.
Anyway, her teacher was showing me her test scores and Skyler scored Advanced for reading, writing and Math! (which was kind of weird in the Math dept. since she was having a little trouble at the end of 3rd grade). Her teacher said she had NEVER had a student who received an Advanced "A" grade in the subject of writing, either. She also suggested that next semester (if Skyler wants to and doesn't feel pressured to, of course) Skyler start doing some reading assignments at the 6th-8th grade level. Funny thing, she also received an "A" in P.E. and technology! Guess all that dance and all those hours on Webkinz paid off! LOL!
Anyway, we are so proud of our Skyler and I am so happy she loves to read for pleasure. I remember when I homeschooled her in Kindergarten and she DID NOT want to read. So I got a piece of poster board and for every five books she read to me, she would get a prize out of the prizebox I kept. (and these were good prizes, not cheap, crappy ones!!) Then I would move it up to 10 books, 20, etc! The prizes got bigger as the number of books read got bigger! But it was so worth it. By first grade (she homeschooled the 1st semester) she was in love with reading and I no longer had to reward her for it. I, myself love buying books, so a bookstore is an equivalent to a candy store for her. She and I can spend HOURS in Barnes and Noble and Borders. But I usually do not buy a lot of books at the bookstore because she will read a book that I just bought in a few hours and that can get expensive! Yikes! We occasionally do the library, but I find it easier to get a stack of her favorite books (The Babysitters Club, The Boxcar Children, etc.) at Goodwill for $.25 or $.50 and she can stock her little "library" and have a feast of books to choose from. I usually end up giving them to friends or donating them to her classroom. The teacher really likes that!
Way to go Skyler! We are so proud of you and I think your Dad owes you some money now...

1 comment:

Carmen said...

Go Skyler! Maybe she needs to rub off on her friend!!! I might just steal your idea for the poster board and prizes!!!